Saturday, November 05, 2005

Winter project: dual 28 pict carbs!

Well, the gang at TheSamba.com thinks it's a splendid plan to replace my single 34pict carb with a pair of 28 pict. I will see a performance increase if I do it right. The only question (beyond whether the used 28 picts still function) is how to set up a linkage system and how to get manifolds for each side.

But, that may end up simpler than I'm thinking if I can just get someone to weld together old manifold pieces.

Best part is the carbs will cost me a total of $0! Jamie said I can just have 'em as he's had them sitting around for 10 years and never used them so far. I told him if it works pretty well for me with his dual 28s he should look at what carb is in his bus and we could maybe fashion together a similar setup there. If he's got a 30 then he can just use the 30 he's got in the box. If he's got a 34 he could probably use mine. Or, better yet, I could trade him his 34 for my dual 28 setup and make a dual 34 setup for mine!

Yep, I'd have some serious power to contend with. Perhaps 80 or so horsepower. Woo ... wow ... heh heh ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

How do you keep dual carbs syncronized, or is it not an issue? Am I right in thinking that one carb serves two cylinders while the other one serves the other two?

12:55 PM  
Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

Yes, you can see pictures of what dual carburator motors look like at TheSamba.com and other places. On our motors currently there's, of course, the one carb that sits on top of an intake manifold that feeds all four cylindars.

You can see that we also have the dual intake manifolds that feed the heads on the far right and left sides. Dual carburetors would sit basically rigth on top of where you see the manifolds split into two channels on each side.

To synchronize them you use a linkage which pulls the throttles at the same time when the single throttle cable pulls in the middle. I believe there's another synchronization with a "balance line" or something like that to equalize the air/fuel flow between the two, but I'm not sure how that works or if it's more something for higher-performance carbs.

I believe all I need is the linkage bar for the throttles and then a splitter for the fuel line. Make sure both carbs are calibrated properly and they should be synchronized as well as they need to be.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home