Friday, November 04, 2005

Time to leave it to the pros again

I can't adjust my carburetor to save my life.

However, I don't believe it's user error. Something else is keeping the car from idling properly. So, I made an appointment with VW Man for Monday morning and I'll let them wrench with it.

The forum folks at TheSamba.com thought I might have a vacuum leak. To troubleshoot they recommended getting a can of starter fluid and then spraying some around the various connection points of the intake manifold when the engine is cold. If there's a leak, when I spray starter fluid at the problem area it should cause the engine RPMs to surge noticeably.

The fix could be as simple as tightening the bolts that hold the intake manifold to the engine and the carburetor to the intake manifold. Of course, getting to the screw on the front side (remember, front side of the car) of the carburetor is anything but simple! If that doesn't solve the leak, then you'll need to remove the manifold and replace gaskets. You may even find the engine block and manifold fittings aren't totally flat, which would involve machining them down so they are and ... yeah, after reading that I decided I could spend a lot of time, energy and frustration on a project like that.

Instead, I'm sure I could spend a bit of money to have someone better at it do it for me in much less time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home