Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Closing in on a properly-tuned carburetor

As I've said before, the last mechanic who worked on my VW kind of botched the carburetor adjustment. I've spent a lot of time re-reading the deceptively short and simple instructions and then finally driving around with a long, thin flathead screwdriver and stopping every few miles to turn screws this way and that.

Currently, I've got my flow control screw turned out about 3 turns, which is within the range it *should* be and not nearly all the way out like it was when I first got the car. The bypass valve is about 4 or 5 turns in from being flush with the housing. That one I'm still not sure of where it's supposed to be, but apparently it's the only screw you should adjust to set the idle.

The setting I *know* isn't quite right is the throttle adjustment. I've got it backed out a good 4-5 turns when it should be *just* touching the automatic choke cam on its lowest setting. The carb is probably in need of being completely dismantled and cleaned to get it to run 100%.

But, as-is it's running pretty smooth in low RPMs, the throttle response is better and the last MPG check had it at just under 23 with mostly freeway driving tonight and today but fighting a LOT of wind.

It's supposed to get up to 5 mpg better, from what I've read. So, once I get the motor to idle fine with the throttle screw set right that may make all the difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home