Friday, November 04, 2005

A good night of fixes

While Dad's killing brain cells driving around with a leaky heat exhanger, I fixed the following tonight:

* Dome light wiring
* Rear defrost
* Car idles again (but not perfectly)

I used an old bike brake cable to thread through the windshield frame housing. Then, I took a look at this bundle of wires that used to be floating around free in my trunk and noticed it was just right for connecting the dome light to the fuse box. Hmm!

I had to splice some extra wire on here and there, but eventually I just taped the end of the bundle of wires to the end of the cable, pulled it all through and wired it up. Let there be light.

While I was cleaning up the wiring I took a good look at where the various bundles were coming from and noticed one particular loose wire. It was the only loose one that came with a big bundle from the back of the car. I was able to isolate that bundle by isolating the bundle next to it that I now know is for the door switch. I need a new door switch, by the way.

That one loose connection had one of those small female terminals, the kind that's usually plugged into the insturment lights. I couldn't help notice that the back of the little defroster switch had tiny, male terminals it would fit just as well. Plug that wire into the switch, plug another small terminal into the other side that was already hooked up to the fuse box and I've got a rear defogger.

I'm still keeping the appointment Monday with VW Man to fix my idle right, but after tightening a couple hose clamps on the silicone joints between the middle and outer intake manifold pieces my car doesn't die at stop ligths anymore. I'm going to invest major bank in a 13mm socket this weekend and use that to tighten the bolts on the intake pieces where they connect to the engine block and see where that gets me.

That, and a session with the heater boxes and a can a WD-40 and I've got a happenin' weekend shaping up for me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

Fortunately the leaky heat exchanger just means some heat escapes to the out doors. Once the rust eats through to the exhaust, then I'll need to do repairs. Thats of course assuming I live long enough.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

I've got an extra pair of heat control levers if you need them. I just needed the clamps that attach to the end of the lever but I had to buy the whole kit. So if you need em I've got em.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

I don't think I need to replace my control levers. I'll work on loosening mine up and see where that gets me. Hmm ... removing the old and putting in new might prove challenging though. Even with wheel ramps it's not the easiest to access :)

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home