Friday, November 04, 2005

Heat and Hazzard: Yes!

Well, true to form, MAMotorworks parts arrived today, just one day after placing the order. Those guys are good! So I got the heater cables connected and now I've got heat. Just in time too by the looks of the weather report. Today was nice though and I drove around town with the top down, what fun!

The new flasher relay did the trick for the hazzards, so now most electrical problems are fixed. The seatbelt warning system was dismantled long ago, so I'm not worrying about it. The rear window defrost still needs to be fixed though and the Dome light only goes on when the door is open. You should be able to switch it on in the opposite direction but no luck yet.

While attaching the heater cables I noticed the heat exchanger has rusted through on the driver's side..... Oh well, its only a small hole right now and I am getting sufficient heat... so later...

Monday I'm taking the Ghia to a touchup paint place. They'll see if they can match the paint. The current paint job is not the original color and of course I have no record of what the color is. They should be able to match it pretty close but probably not perfectly. Anyway there are some chips and scratches that need to be covered.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

Pull the dome light out from its spot in the mirror and make sure the little copper tab is sticking out far enough to contact the metal inside of the rear view mirror arm. That tab is a ground and when you throw the switch the opposite direction it connects with that ground, making it turn on without the doors.

Congrats on the heat! I'm jealous!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

Boy do I feel stupid. I could see that was what was intended, but the way the mirror was wired just didn't make sense. It finally dawned on me that once again the reverse polarity demon had done his dirty work! Someone wired the terminals backwards. If you do that the door switch will work but just turning on the dome light by throwing the switch to the right won't. I reversed the wires now and everything works just fine.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

Try this: when you have electrical problems, make sure the wires aren't crossed. That can cause problems ;)

Heh heh heh ...

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home