Saturday, November 05, 2005

Rich neighbor!

My neighbor, Jamie, is another VW head. He's got a mid-'60s bus that came with a few boxes of spare VW parts! I got to take a mental inventory of his stash last night. Here's what I remember:

* 3 Carbruetors - 2 28 pict and one 30 pict. I've asked on the performance/engine thread at TheSamba.com if it's worth, as a winter project, attempting to hook up the pair of 28 pict carbs in my Ghia, or if they won't be any better than the single 34 pict I have in there now.
* A bundle of distributor wires! One of my wires has cracked housing where it connects to the distributor. Might just pop on over and grab an appropriately-sized replacement.
* Practically brand-new distributor cap. The points are shiny and brassy and the cap looks clean except for cobwebs.
* Power regulator (could have used that two weeks ago)
* 2 fuel pumps (ditto!)
* Coils
* Wiper motor
* Starter motor
* Beetle Speedometer. Ooh, I didn't check to see if there are any insturment light bulb housings in it! I need one more for my parking light indicator.
* Beetle speaker grille. Whoever owned the bus before Jamie must have owned a Beetle, too.
* Hazard switch
* Headlight switch
* Pump-action windshield washer bottle cap (for bus it looks, wouldn't fit mine).

I told him he could sell a lot of that on eBay, but I think for his and my sake he's holding on to it. I'm very curious to hear back from the motorheads at TheSamba.com about the 2x28pict vs 1x34pict carb issue. It'd be kind of a fun winter project, I'd learn a lot about carbs and motors and even if it doesn't get more power I've heard that dual carbs get better throttle response and make the motor operate smoother in general.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home