Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Heater Cable: part duex

Parts arrived today from KarmannGhia.com so I've been busy most of the day getting things put together. The passenger side door is now complete. I needed a trim plate for the door latch release. Got the right part but no screw to attach it. Menards has a selection of metric screws, so I got what I needed there. The only problem was the screw was about 5mm too long. It would screw in all the way but then it would interfere with the release mechanism. I couldn't get the door open! So cussing I had to crawl over the emergency brake and gear shift into the passenger seat to get out that door. (I should have just rolled down the window and opened the door from the outside.) A hack saw shortened the screw to the right length and now everything works just fine.

I finally got the new heater cable installed (after 3 hours of work) but still NO HEAT. :( The clamps on the heater levers are rusted and I broke one trying to get it loosened. So back to the parts catalogue and order more parts. While I'm at it I'll order some fuses (8 and 16amp), a new flasher relay (I've decided that the problem with the hazard lights is the relay), a pedal repair kit (I need the spring to hold the accelerator pedal in place) and a cap for the window wiper arm.

The cables almost went all the way through the channel before getting stuck in the tight spot. After some reaming out I could get one through but the other one just wouldn't budge. More reaming...no luck.....more reaming...no luck....etc. I finaly bent the channel (where the cable emerges) a little bit to straighten it out some and that did the trick. Then in the euphoria of success I was stopped cold by the frozen cable clamps. Curses, it's always something.

I also recieved with this shipment of parts a new hose to connect the heater control box to the body on the driver's side. This went on without too much trouble, although I'm getting tired of having to work with my hands in tight spaces. I decided to check out the passenger side hose while I was at it and good thing I did. It was loose on one end so I reattached it and tightend the clamp. I found the same problem at the other end of the car with the driver's side window vent. The hose that brings hot air was disconnected from the vent, so I reconnected that hose as well. I then noticed that the fresh air cable on that side was loose and attempted to reattach it but the cable sticks and it just comes off again. I'll have to take the cable off and see if it's salvageable.

Now that all the hoses are connected, if I can just get new clamps and get the cables attached to the heat control levers I should be in business.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

I saw a little electric heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter at Target last night for $15! It's got a 360 degree swivel on it so ideally you mount it on your dash to point at the whindshield for defogging and then back around at the cab for warming (notice how I didn't say "heating" ... heh heh ...).

A pair of these might not work too bad. At least, for $30 it might be worth the attempt to hook them both up to a power terminal and see what the results are.

What new parts are you going to get to fix your heater channels? I just got the Mid America Autoworks catalogue in the mail and saw that new heater boxes were $200. I dunno 'bout that. Then again, you're planning to drive yours in the winter a lot more than me.

If you're replacing your heater boxes, you should maybe look at putting a less-restrictive and quieter muffler on the car. It'll sound better and have more power! :)

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home