Thursday, November 03, 2005

Beep beep, mmm, beep beep, yeah!

The horn works!

I bought a new "auto relay" from Radio Shack for $6.50 to replace the horn relay. Here's what I did to troubleshoot thanks to advice from TheSamba.com:

1. Test the horns - At the horn relay, I unplugged one of the red (hot) wires and touched it to the wire connecting the relay to the horns. *spark!* *BEEP!* Ow ... that was loud. So, OK. I knew my dual horns were good and there was electricity going to the relay.

2. Test the steering wheel button - I pulled off the relay the brown ground wire coming from the dash and wired it in series to a terminal on each horn. I then wired the red live wire in series to the other two terminals. I hit the pad on the steering wheel and hear *punk!* Yeah, you heard me. It didn't beep, it went *punk!* like a dent in metal being pulled out. If I held the steering wheel *just* right, I could get the horn to beep sort of subdued. So! all the wires were good, that meant the problem was at the horn relay!

3. Install new horn relay - I installed the new one exactly the same as the old, hit the pad on the steering wheel and ... nothing ... What the!?!?!?? I re-read the post from TheSamba.com and it looks like everything's hooked up right. So, time to randomly and carelessly cross wires around! Eventually, I figured out I had two terminals switched on the horn relay, got them hooked up right and BEEP! Woo hoo! I can re-join the fun game of road rage!

Now if I can only get the carburetor to idle right *and* have the proper air/fuel mixture ... ugh ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home