Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Learn to walk first

The initial high of "Ooh, dual carbs would be so cool!" is starting to wear off and after a talk with Jamie about the 30 pict carb in his stash I'm thinking of starting smaller.

A couple weeks ago I was asking about what the bypass valve on a carb was. I can really see getting in over my head attempting to install a completely new carburation system. I could get a 30 pict rebuild kit for under $20 (I believe) and learn myself a thing or two about the things tearing apart that old carb, cleaning it and putting it back together.

Then, swap out my old one for the rebuilt and see how I did. The car is currently running a lot better and I dare say it even feels somewhat punchy in 1st and 2nd. The stock performance I'm getting out of that motor may be all I need for the first couple years.

So, new plan: rebuild a used 30 pict carb and install it in the ghia. Depending on how well I do with that I'll think about dual carbs someday. Guess I'm learning about the wisdom of "wait until winter to do major repairs/upgrades."

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

This sounds like a much more reasonable approach. One winter project I've been considering is getting the clock working. Mostly this involves some careful dissasembly and reassembly. Inexpensive, maticulous and rewarding. The other major repair is the gap in the convertable top between the front header piece and the windshield. Right now I've stop gapped it with weather stripping but it really needs to be taken appart and rebuilt. Your mother, bless her heart has put a ban on new parts orders, so guess I'll have to restrict myself to things that don't require major parts purchases.

I've been carefully monitoring the fuel guage. It is much calmer now, no sudden changes. It appears I'm getting better milage but will have to wait to fill up tonight when I get home for a check. I'll fill with guage right at half to see how accurate it is. The Haynes manual suggests that the guage can be adjusted, but I'm not sure mine can be.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

I think the old, mechanical (cable-driven) fuel gauges could be adjusted. Ours can't, I believe. To fix it, replace the gauge. =)

I read your line about Mom banning parts purchases to Reese and got what I deserve for doing so: my own ban on parts purchases!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home