Friday, October 28, 2005

Driving is believing

Well, the carburetor seemed to be adjusted properly, but the fuel filter has always looked a bit dirty to me, and I keep hearing mention of old gas tanks and the rust they can produce. So, I spent $5 on a new fuel filter. Of course, I wasn't expecting a quick, 2 second spray of gasoline mist when I unhooked the old filter! Gosh, I guess those old, simple push-rod fuel pumps really pump!

After I recovered from my heart attack, fire extinguisher in hand (remember, keep it at your side when working on fuel stuff!) I determined enough time had passed for the gas to have evaporated off the engine parts. It really wasn't much, actually, just enough to surprise me and freak me out!

The car didn't seem to really improve after that, but over time it started driving better and better. I may still want to check the timing myself, though, based on what I've read about how to do it with a simple test light. Still, I drove the car a LOT tonight (about 170 miles around the Twin Cities ... wow, I was jonesin'!) and it's not doing too bad now. Give it 5 minutes to warm up and the throttle is responsive enough. And, like Dad, my fuel economy is finally where it should be! I'd guess anywhere from 22-24 right now just based on tonight's drive mixing freeway and city streets. Hey, better than the Subaru!

It's also nice having good, decently-illuminating headlights. As the generator was flaking out and the headlights were basically running on battery power they were a bit dim before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home