Friday, November 11, 2005

Gas milage report

Well I think the accelerator cable and tire pressure adjustments have helped with the milage. I now seem to be getting more like 22-23mpg for my daily commute, part city and part freeway. Now that the fuel guage is stable, I've been making some checks to see how much gas is used at the 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and R points. I've developed the following scale that reflects where the guage reads and the gas consumption at that point:

3/4 - 3.0 gal used
1/2 - 5.5 gal used
1/4 - 7.75 gal used
R - 9.3 gal used

I have to verify the 1/4 and R levels yet but I did fill with the needle just above the R mark and put in exactly 9 gallons. It looks like at that point there would be just 1 gal left. That's about right so the guage seems to be working properly and doesn't fly around anymore since the new wire to the sending unit was installed. Knowing these points will help keep a spot check on milage without having to actually fill it.

Hey Chris when you come down for Thanksgiving how about helping me give the Ghia a tuneup? Adjust the valves, timing, points, plugs, etc? True father - son bonding and all that stuff. Better'n football!

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

That table is pretty close to mine, but it seems like I'm about .5 gallons less than you at each mark (2.5, 5, 7.5 & 9 respectively).

At least, that's based on the tripodometer readings at each of these marks assuming I'm getting just over 20mpg. I do seem to be getting a pretty consistant 22mpg since the tuneup at VW Man, so we're both right on with that now.

These marks can also be easily thrown by how full your tank is starting out. Seems like the full level can vary by 1/2 a gallon often for me. That is, when I fill up sometimes the auto shut-off from the pump stops just a bit too soon. Of course, I don't want to top off the tank as that's never recommended.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

Yes, I never top off either. I also tried filling at the same pump in the same orientation so that the gas tank was in the same position with respect to level. Unfortunately this particular pump was not on the level so that may have something to do with the difference. The car was in a position where the front right of the tank was tilted upward. That might allow for more gas than usual to be put in the tank in the first place.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

I was just looking at some of the conversation on octane ratings at the samba and found this:

In Germany they used RON (Research Octane Number).
91 RON = 87 PON (Pump Octane Number, the average of RON and MON)
So in Germany, 91 is "regular", the same actual octane as our 87

I'm using 87 here which is 10% ethanol I believe. Ethanol should present no particular problem for the engine components in this low of a concentration. It also is the cheapest gas in Iowa which is nice. The problem with ethanol is E85. This is 85% ethanol and is corrosive to rubber. So gas lines, o rings etc. would have to be replaced to use it. The other problem with ethanol is that it burns lean and hot, which isn't good for an aircooled engine.

All in all there really should be no reason for me to use 91 octane which would be a waste of money.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home