Saturday, November 12, 2005

Birth certificate ordered

I spent some time looking at the sticky topics on thesamba's ghia forum last night and found a few interesting items:

  1. I ordered my Ghia's birth certificate last night. You email the VW museum in Germany and request a "birth certificate" which will tell you the original color, options, engine #, shipping delivery point in the US, etc., what ever they have in their records on your car.
  2. Specifications for a '73 included: fuel consumption- 24mpg, and top speed- 84mph.
  3. Original color? I'm guessing Phoenix red with a black interior and top. That's the color on the parts of the body that weren't repainted. I'm tempted to take off the custom vinyl job that is covering up the original dash and instrument panel. I wonder what's underneath? The BC should tell what it shiped with.
  4. Engine number: AK xxxxxx This looks like the original engine and leads me to believe that the odometer is correct in reporting 47,000 original miles. The AK model engine shows up on the 74 model year cars but other sources show 73 as well. The VIN number also indicates a late '73 production, possibly during the changeover to the 74 model.

I'll be interested to see what the BC tells me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home