Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sold! (Long time no post)

I sold my Ghia this summer to a friend of mine who lives in Shanghai. It was a hard decision but we had four vehicles, a new baby, moved to a small town and one of the classic VWs had to go. I decided to keep the Bus because with Dad's Ghia we've still got at least one in the family and the Bus is actually usefull as a mountain bike support vehicle.

However, the Ghia is still in my possession. My Shanghai friend, Philippe, isn't in any rush to ship it over and just got married this summer. He's got time to figure out how/if it's feasible to ship the car to China and if he ultimately can't do it I'll help him re-sell it to someone in the US.

This whole transaction mirrors what's been going on in the US for the last few years: Chinese investors buying our property. Of course, Philippe is actually Taiwanese but I've always thought he was more French/Belgian than even he may wish to admit.

I also hold out hope that eventually I'll be at a point where I could buy it back from him. That, of course, would take some serious negotiating with Reese. We've been pretty poor since the move but our long-term plan shows us actually being able to pay off our debts and start saving money for once.

We've recently moved from Minneapolis to Wells, MN. The goal of the move is primarily for our daughter, Oona, because just about all of Reese's family lives in this small town of 2,500. We're both earning significanly less money but our expenses are, proportionately, even more dramatically reduced. I'm actually self-employed now and I'm able to do that because almost 100% of my income can go toward paying off debt, savings and investments.

Hopefully, one thing we'll be able to "invest" in again will be a blue, '72 Karmann Ghia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home