Sunday, October 15, 2006

A day for tinkering


I've been wanting a 12V power recepticle for my cell phone, so I picked one up at autozone for $2.50~ and installed it on the dash. There was an existing accessory hole at the spot between the radio and the Clock. I had to ream it out though to make the thing fit. Works great, now I just have to create a holder for the phone.

I also was having a problem with the right headlight. The high beam was out. So I bought a new headlight figuring that was the problem. Got the lamp, installed it and still no high beam. I was worried then that I did something to the switch when I dissasembled the steering column to pull out the ignition lock cylinder. But the left light high beam was working as well as the indicator light. The switch had to be working, maybe it was the relay? I finally decided to get some help and did a search of the Samba for clues. Duh..I forgot that each headlight both high and low beam are independently fused. Suggested repair twirl the fuse. So I twirled number 6 fuse and voila, now I have a high beam on the right headlamp. Need a new halogen headlight? I've got one.

The other repair I did saturday (which was my birthday, my gift to myself was a day of tinkering) was to fix the right side door. It didn't close tightly. I readjusted the latch so it would close tighter and now that annoying door rattle is gone. Hardest part - getting the bolt that holds the latch in place loose so I could adjust its position.

Last repair was to tighten the oil sensor on the engine. It was loose and as a result oil was leaking into the engine compartment. I'm slowly finding and fixing those pesky oil leaks. A Ghia doesn't have to leak!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home