Sunday, October 08, 2006

I too am a mechanic

Well Chris finally convinced me to do my own maintenance. It took a while to get everything ready but Friday I finally was ready. Total cost for a tuneup $9.97. This was because I got a discount at foreign car parts for valve cover gaskets and a gasket set for the oil screen. The total cost for the gaskets - $1.97. I had to laugh when I handed the guy two dollars and said keep the change!

I was somehwhat surprised when I got under the car and found the right valve cover was a bolt on cover. It was caked with black gunk and it was obvious the oil leak that has been appearing on the floor of the garage was due to a leaky gasket. Some degreaser and elbow grease revealed the beauty pictured here:



The one on the right isn't nearly as pretty. I wouldn't mind finding another one some where so I have a matching set. I think sometime in the past the bail must have rusted and broken off. Anyway the valve adjustment was fairly easy with no major problems. Number 1 cylinder didn't need any adjustment. 2, 3, and 4 were all too tight and had to be adjusted. The oil change went smoothly and there are no leaks now!

Thanks Chris for making me do it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

I'm proud of you, Dad! =) That valve cover did clean up really nice. Isn't it great to know you can do all that stuff yourself? Makes the Ghia feel so much less of a money pit.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home