Thursday, October 26, 2006

Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Storage

Five blocks from home my intake manifold cracked:



Sounds and looks real bad! But, prices for new centermount manifolds like this one range from $40-$80 depending on new, used, rebuilt or what have you. Last winter I already took the topside of the engine apart so I know how to get in there, remove the manifold and install a new one. Guess I've got a new project!

The real loser here is my poor wife. She was looking forward to her usual garage parking spot that was supposed to be available today after I stored the Ghia at my friend Shad's unused, underground, heated parking space.

Two cool things about this:

1 - This is very likely a crack that formed over time and probably from the inside out, causing an ever worsening vacuum leak. That's why I could never set my idle quite right on the carb, if that's true! So, a new manifold should make the car run even better.

2 - I had to get towed home when the car wouldn't run and the quickest, most convenient way I could think of was to beg a huge favor for Jamie of Sunrise Cyclery just a block from my house. He towed my Ghia with his '66 VW Bus!


Here Jamie's hooking up the rope to his van


Making sure the knot is good and tight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home