Thursday, February 16, 2006

Apparently, I Need a Thermostat

My car won't idle well when cold. And it's cold lately, just in the teens during the day today and about 1 degree tomorrow. But, hey, it's an old VW, they just run kinda crappy in the cold, right?

Yeah, and they smell like a dangerous gas leak, have doors that droop, drive rough ... gotta stop thinking like that! The thermostat is apparently quite insturmental too good, cold weather operation:

http://www.vw-resource.com/vanes_thermostat.html


The mechanic at Quality Coaches here pointed out to me that my thermostat was "blown" adding that it wasn't really needed and they don't make them anymore so don't worry about it. Well, they dont' make the OEM thermostats, but I did find this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=265325

There's a new, better thermostat I could get for my Type I engine that isn't the old "bellows" style which had a habit of rupturing after a while. You know, they'd become "blown." The effect is the engine will actually run too cold in winter which not only wears the engine out quicker but it promotes carburetor manifold icing. Basically, fuel will either condense or even freeze to the walls of the intake manifold if it's too cold.

That's basically what's happening to me. I think this qualifies as a necessary part, so I'll probably just order one and blot it on. Removing the old one and installing new is quite simple from what I've seen. Drive the car's rear wheels up on the ramps, get underneath and remove the single bolt from the old thermostat, take it out, put the new one in and tighten the bolt down. Done!

Might want to find out about your thermostat, Dad, just in case. Any idle problems below freezing for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home