Monday, October 24, 2005

Tales of Ghia head turners

My dad had a Karmann Ghia that he purchased 2nd hand from A local vetinarian, Dr. South, in Salmon Idaho. As near as Mom and I can figure, he got the Ghia in the summer/fall of 1966. Since it was second hand we are guessing that it was a '59 or 60. It was my senior year in high school and the Ghia was a great date car. I was very keen on dating one of the high school cheerleaders at the time - Linda. Once she saw the Ghia she was anxious for a ride. I picked her up in North Fork and we went to the drive-in in Salmon. One problem dating in a Ghia, its difficult to sit close together. Besides, I think she was more interested in the car and the movie than me.

I met a girl in Hamilton Montana though at a church event. This girl was VERY fiendly and liked to have a good time. I asked her out to the Sweet Heart Ball and she accepted. Problem was I had to drive to Hamilton and pick her up. The Ghia was the solution to the problem. So I drove to Hamiltion (90 miles) and then back to Salmon for the dance. She stayed overnight with friends (properly chaparoned of course) and I took her back to Hamilton the next day. Only a 360 mile drive for one date. I was the quarterback of the Football team at the time and as luck would have it I broke my hand that year and missed out on several games. I didn't find this out though until after the drive. So make that 360 miles with a broken hand. This VERY friendly girl was not so friendly at the dance however. Turns out between the time I asked her to the dance and when the dance actually happened she got engaged and didn't tell me. The Ghia can lead them to water but it can't make them drink!

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

My friend Andy gave me a hard time when I showed him the Ghia last week. "You should have bought this car 5 years ago, not some stupid Subaru!"

5 years ago Andy and I were both single, available bachelors with no lady luck. Guess my timing isn't the greatest, eh?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

I guess in lieu of editing my first post I have to simply post a second comment, eh?

Hearing stories like this now that I'm 32 and married is always fun. I remember being 17 and learning how to drive in the '72 Super Beetle Dad bought me for Christmass. I learned a lot about driving, cars and life with little chestnuts like "I always liked Volkswagens because when you shift into 3rd gear you could grab a girl's knee."

11:17 AM  
Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

Third gear is another whole story.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Doug Druckenmiller said...

I'm still unclear about the right dates. I must have been my junior year, but I'm not sure. My senior year was spent with the Yowell's because of dad's illness. That would put it at 1965/1966.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

So, rumor has it that "third gear is another whole story." Curiously so, I don't see that story posted here yet.

=)

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home