Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Force is strong in my family

My grandfather, Russel Floyd Druckenmiller, owned a blue Karmann Ghia in the mid/late '60s. It was either a '58 or a '59 model, my dad's not exactly sure.

Ever since, it seems our family's been in love with these cars. Recently, we both did something about it when I bought a '72 blue coupe (apparently the same color as my grandpa's) and Dad bought a '73 red convertible.

We're both familiar with old VWs in general and had some fun starting in on fixing all the little problems with them (mostly electrical for now). We took digital photos of things like the backs of our insturment panels and our motors to compare and help each other track down how to fix things.

It's immensely helpful to have photos showing you where things should go and how they should be put together, and we found so little of that information on the Internet. So, from now on we'll be communicating to each other with help for fixing our cars on here and you're welcome to post your comments and help, too.

The next posts will have some photos and descriptions of how some of the first issues were solved such as non-operating gas guages and loose insturment clusters.

We'll also post fun stories about Karmann Ghias and the story of my grandpa's Ghia from the '60s. Enjoy!

-Chris Druckenmiller

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay Donnaway said...

Hi Chris,
Well now I know why you can't spell "Drunken Ghia" ;-P
Good stories, keep em coming!
-Jay

10:42 AM  
Blogger Chris Druckenmiller said...

Thanks for reading, Jay!

I'll have to add your blog as a link. Very interesting! I keep reading online about people converting their Ghias to EV. Why is this being done by so many, do you think?

I certainly think it's a great idea, but just curious why the Ghia, in particular.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home